Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Article Review - Feb 14, 2012

http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/eek-a-science/42112

The article which the above link leads to is called "Eek! A Science!" and is written by David Barash. It discusses the misconception that science is an academically-superior, creatively-inferior subject, especially in relation to the humanities. I found this interesting because it is a misconception which I have never considered nor challenged in my own intellectual career.  Science is not superior or inferior to any other subject by any terms, but is just different.  I have often seen science as completely structured, with no freedom or creativity, and as a result have gone about my science endorsement classes with that mentality. After reflecting on this article, I have realized that I often restrict myself as a result of keeping these misconceptions. That being said, I must realize that science can be creative. Experiments, connections between topics, and especially the discipline of teaching science can be very creative and unbounded. Granted, it is a different way of manifesting this creativity, which I must practice to learn. To do so, and to redeem my science classes from the restricted mindset of creativity-starvation will be the key to enjoying these classes, and to being a successful teacher of the topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment