Monday, March 5, 2012

Blog #7 - Universal Design for Learning

http://bookbuilder.cast.org/view.php?op=view%20&book=57434&page=1
(If this link doesn't work, then you can go to www.bookbuilder.cast.org and search for the book "The Scientific Method." It should be under the publisher tag TEAC259, UNL.)

Above is the link to the book I created. I created a book that takes science students through the process by which an experiment is conducted. This will allow students to have guideposts as they conduct an experiment of their choice. This fits UDL, primarily because of its universality among different types of experiments and interests. It can be applied to any experiment the student wishes to conduct. Also, as I noted in my answers to the reaction questions, the principle of previous knowledge is an important factor of UDL's. This is because, without the prior knowledge which your instructional content is built upon, the students cannot succeed at grasping the material at a very high rate. So, I applied this to my book. To do so, I included a page which listed some important prerequisites that students should cover before going through the book and conducting an experiment. This way, they will get the most possible out of the project, and will not harm themselves or others by conducting an experiment in an unsafe manner. There are several other important principles to consider when working with Universal Design for Learning, but this is just one example which I chose to focus on, discuss, and apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment